Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ahhh. Running for the joy of it.

Starting running again after quite the layoff, and the experience is both wonderful and frustrating. After gaining the level of fitness that I did last year, and now having to start from scratch, I am struggling a bit to just appreciate time on the trail/road. However, it is great to have learned from my mistakes last time around. I am talking about my jump in to ultrarunning. I wouldn't trade the miles from last year for anything, I definitely learned a lot about myself and my capabilities. The plan for this year is to build a solid base, and then hit the big miles throughout the winter and next spring/summer. I'm going to focus on getting one 100 under my belt, and maybe a few shorter races.

In addition to a focused and safe running schedule I will be climbing. Hell yes! After an amazing 4th of July weekend where I was introduced to climbing (thanks to Jen, David, Nicole, and others who's names I don't remember), I'm hooked. Going to join Denver's new bouldering club, and get out to some crags as much as I can. Time to fly!
This is not me, soon enough.
Hooray!

2 comments:

JeffO said...

Glad you're back!
I'm not. Plantar faciitis. Can't train at all.
Hope to see you out there again with a better plan. You definitely can be a course record kind of guy across the state, if you can stay in one piece.
But fun and health are the game. Glad to hear you've got new friends and stuff you love.

mnodurft said...

Jeff, thanks for the words of encouragement! Truly apreciate it. If your foot heals up, we'll actually have to get in some miles together. Not sure I want to devote the time to train for course records, but maybe. I would like to destroy the CT supported record. That one is highly appealing. Get in touch if you want to run, climb, whatever. In fact, climbing might be just the activity for you. I'm still very new to the sport, but am looking forward to getting chalk on my hands.