Sunday, July 19, 2009

Above Tree Line

Good week, good miles. Knocked out a 81+ mile week. The longest run was today (22), and it went well. Decided to get above the trees for a minute by running the Kenosha Pass section of the CT. I made it to the top of Georgia Pass, plus a little hill scramble to get to 12,000 ft, when the lightning and thunder rolled in. That made my decision to turn around at 11 miles, instead of 15, much easier. I shouldn't be doing 30 mile runs yet anyways. I am a bit suprised at how my legs feel. They're kind of sore and sluggish, but seem to be handling training well. My ankle is also feeling ok. A bit tight, but nothing a little body work/stretching can't fix (yes Jen, I'm giving in). I don't believe that I've mentioned this in any previous posts, but I RARELY stretch. It's absolutely amazing that I performed as well as I did last year considering my terrible range of motion. All I can figure, is that my high activity level kept me relatively loose. That approach probably isn't going to work forever though. I'll need to incorporate some flexibility training into my schedule this year. Also toying with the idea of plyometrics to make rock-hopping easier. Might be time for guidance from an objective source. A coach...ugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's this guy David you might know, he just so happens to be a trainer AND do bodywork. Just sayin'...

http://momentumbodyworx.com/

JeffO said...

Glad you're starting to get the big miles again.
I've read several studies that say people who stretch actually suffer from MORE injuries. Flexibility does cause you to avoid injury, but too many people who stretch do it wrong. So stretching correctly is great.

mnodurft said...

The legs, lungs, heart, and mind are coming back!

I've read some of those studies as well. But my rom is crap, and I need to work on that. I'll probably get some expert advice on the matter. Any suggestions on sources?

How's your foot, any progress?