Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This Ultra thing is a blast (9.10-16.08)

W- 0
Th- 4.5
F- 0
S- 52.5
Su- 0
M- 6
Tu- 0

Total = 63

I can't wait until the next race! I won't bore you with a blow-by-blow account but will say that I learned a great deal about the difference between sore and injured, that I have a tendency to spend a bit too much time at aid stations (I could cut probably 5 mins from my finishing time), and my stomach can tolerate solids first and gels as a chaser. The only problems I had, outside of the obvious stuff, was the need to fertilize the forest 4 times in the first half of the race. I had been slightly sick all week and I think that my illness was to blame. There was one period of time between 40-44 miles where I was wondering what I had gotten myself into, and then the PB and Js stared to do their thing and I was actually looking forward to the rest of the race, and not just to get it over with. To be honest, I was dreading the 6+ mile decent at the end with approximately 600 ft of vertical loss per mile (mostly because it was on hard packed service road and not technical single track - I love rock hopping), but got over it and just dealt with my pissed off quads. At the end there was an intimate group of folks cheering me on as if I had just won the thing, which I did not. My goals for this race were to finish in 10 hrs or under and if possible and in the top ten overall. I didn't achieve either one of those and still feel great about the experience. Really, I simply wanted to finish what I started and know that the longer distances are within my grasp. The boost of confidence from finishing such a daunting distance is amazing.

Once again I thank all the folks involved with the event, they did an outstanding job!


12th place, 10:26 (It is well within my ability to hit 9:15 - 9:30 next year - I will be back)
Results - 2008 Run Rabbit Run 50 (actually 52+) Mile Trail Run

No comments: